Thursday, February 16, 2012

Going back to my roots



Sometimes we need to take a step back in order to move forward. Or so said my teaches back in high school. That's what I have been doing lately and after a lot of thinking and a couple of live gigs I think I might have actually found a sound. At least for the moment. I kind of found it going back to my roots. 

The music that always inspired me the most even before I picked up the guitar was the music of Govi. I had no idea who he was but I loved the music. The pleasant blend of latin rhythms mixed with romantic melodic phrases and the occasional pan flute just left me in awe. I remember trying to figure out which genre of music it was and learning that is was called 'World' or 'New Age'. Since then that familiar sound has stuck with me and I have always been able to pick out other New Age artists. So is New Age my sound? Well yes and no. I want to be able to create that atmosphere that Govi created for me. Somewhat 'spanishy' yet contemplative. A sound that has a latin feel yet somewhat atmospheric. Rich romantic melodies but also spiced up with a little jazz. I wouldn't even know what to call the style. It certainly would be a mix and I don't think it could solely be based on one style or genre. But I feel it is what I am going to stick to in terms of originals for now. 

We can often be so focussed on the future, or even the busy-ness of life in the present that we can forget where we came from and how we got here. Sometimes it's those moments between everything that we need to pause and reflect on the past. Reflection. That's another aspect I want my sound to have. As I said before 'contemplative'. I guess everything musician wants people to listen to their music and be taken to another place. To bring them into the writers mind. That is partially what I would want my music to create for others, yet I would also like to create a moment for people to reflect for themselves, on themselves. To give them a breathe of fresh air free from whatever else their lives had been consumed with. It's what I felt when I listened to Govi and it is my dream to do the same for you. 

Better get to work then ey....


See you next week.


JL

 

No comments:

Post a Comment