Thursday, December 30, 2010

First Blog



So this is the first time I've ever done something like blogging so sorry if i'm not really up to date with how things work but i'll give it a go and hopefully work it out. I guess mostly I'll be writing to update people on how my music is going, where I am at with songs and studies, and sometimes just to simply entertain my thoughts in writing. I guess in reading my blog you'll learn a bit more about my thoughts, philosophies and personality towards music - that which might not be expressed in my music or videos. I don't really expect a lot of people to read my blog as it is much easier to just watch a video of me playing; however, even if just one person finds this the slightest bit interesting then it will not be a total waste of my time.

Anyway, to actual blogging stuff.
I'm actually in the middle of a month long holiday overseas in singapore and am scheduled to play at two weddings in the next two weeks. It's nothing big, just helping out a couple of friends, but its a chance for some more stage experience. During a recessional at a wedding I played at back in Aus, I didn't realise until I started playing how nervous I would become. As I started to play the intro to This Old Love (Lior) I kinda became a little stiff. I figured it was because of the fact that it was a girl's wedding day and supposedly they are supposed to be 'perfect'. I was concentrating hard to not even play a note 'un-nicely'. In the end I got through the song easily enough (it's really not that hard) and everyone was happy. Guess I'll be that little more prepared for these next two weddings. I'll let you know how they went, and if possible i'll try to record my solo performance in one of the weddings so stay tuned.

I only have my acoustic guitar with me in Singapore, but it is enough to right down ideas and come up with melodies. I constantly have my iphone with me so when I'm playing and come up with something I like, i can record it then and there. I think too many times I've let a good tune/melody/set of lyrics slip away just because I couldn't remember what I had written. In terms of my next video, I'm still working on the actual song. It will be my first original piece I will have uploaded so I'll be a little nervous to see what people think. It is (at least so far) just a short simple acoustic instrumental piece that I came up with one day sitting on a bench outside. It isn't extremely technical, just a simple piece I thought I would use as my first original to upload on the internet. I have countless song ideas and pieces that i would eventually like to complete and show people, but i have realised over this year, that it really isn't easy to write music you like, let alone music that other people will like. Especially when it is an electric piece and I have to come up with a backing track as well. Those pieces will take a lot more time and effort but I will make it a point to eventually have them completed and uploaded for people to listen to.

I don't know if this was too long for a blog or not but hope it was okay to read at least on some level.
If you are one of the people who actually read the whole post, I will be trying to post a new blog every week so come back later on next week to read my new post.
Till next week, hope you have a Happy New Year

Jesse Liang


www.youtube.com/user/JesseGuitar07
http://www.jesseguitar.com

3 comments:

  1. Have a good year , all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. songwriting is very difficult particularly when you have multiple instruments to write for, but it I find that the time I take in writing a piece of music is very beneficial to the type of tune it becomes: a thoughtful construct of the inner workings of ones mind.

    ReplyDelete