Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fulfillment

I know a few of my friends who are currently in bands trying to make a big time music career and I'd have to give them some respect. Some of them have EP's some are still just playing cover gigs but they're all waiting for their lucky break. I mean these guys are extremely talented but so much of it comes down to luck. As with almost with everything, you gotta be in the right place at the right time. I'm sure a lot of bands these days have what it takes, but just aren't lucky enough. It's like a career gamble really. The jackpot being becoming international superstars, and the minimum being a local cover band playing other people's music. The thing I've been wondering about is whether if all your achievements in your music career resulted in you being the friday night local pub cover band, could you still be fulfilled by your music? Would it be any different to say being a bedroom guitarist who just uploads videos to youtube? And it all comes down to what you value. *You might find that in the course of my blog entry I tend to answer my own questions from time to time.* Of course if it is money you desire you will clearly not be content with a weekly pub/ bar gig. Your going to want the big stage, the stadium, the arena and 9/10 your not going to be happy with what you have because money - a finite material possession cannot possibly fulfil what your seeking. However, if it is music you desire as a musician, as long as you appreciate that type of music you will be content. I hold the belief that music is timeless, like in my last blog I mentioned that music had a transcendental nature about it. To me at least, money will dwindle away, but music will continue to sound forever.

I guess a lot of what I say about music can be parallelled to real life. I mean the same thing goes for any job, if all you want in your life is to attain countless amounts of money, I'm sorry but money has an end. And I really don't think your going to be able to take your money with you after your time is up. But you could spend your life doing something you loved, helping others, passing down something for future generations to find like wisdom, music, art, literature etc.. You might think it weird for me to compare music to life itself, but after all isn't life a song? It plays out in various ways, with various types of people in various cultures, and just as music is universal amongst the world, well so is life. Keep on playing till the day the music dies, although i hope it never does.

Jesse

here is my first video I posts on youtube about 4 years ago ...



http://www.jesseguitar.com

6 comments:

  1. Yes money dwindles and comes to an end. That is preciously why I would like to somehow come into enough money to be financially independent. Whether that comes from music or some other source (lottery, unlikely yes). What I want in music is to share it and get peoples feedback. Also I want to have music and video be a participatory thing. Be involved with other musicians and filmmakers. You can say the the music will be timeless. But we as humans don't have much time in comparison. I want as much time as possible to do and create. If I have to do other things besides music to support my family then I don't have as much time for music. If I am rich and I can put that money in an interest bearing account of some kind to live in the interest, then I can create and not worry about what money it makes. But if it does make a lot. That would be cool to. It's about financial security.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here is message from my youtube friend
    ordepix
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ordepix

    Re: Do you like James Taylor?
    I went to your blog, I started playing and singing very young and that time my goals were to perform in schhol festivals. I realized soon that my talent was very limited so I've been enjoying covering songs from my loved singers.
    Now I would be happy performing at a local pub and composing a song.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog Jesse. And a really huge topic! I think there are people who can get gratification out of just playing in a cover band or what-have-you. It's what they enjoy, and lots of other people enjoy it, so that's probably how they express their creative side. For me personally, it's much more important to create my own songs, and while it's NOT critical that I have money and fame, I certainly would like recognition at some point - mainly because I write my songs for people to hear, and they are an extension of myself. If people don't get to hear them, or people don't like them, then I feel like I have failed in some way. Not exactly a healthy attitude, but it's the one I currently have. Anyway, there is tons to say on this topic... and we barely scratched the surface.

    Glenn
    http://www.youtube.com/glennpagemusic

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey guys, thanks for the comments. Definitely is a big topic but i mean your right, If you can find fulfillment playing in a cover band than thats great. I guess i was generalizing in saying that the dream is superstardom and the standard is live cover band. There are of course people who could get great satisfaction out of just playing other peoples music and appreciating it for what it is and not feeling the need to create their own.

    @Dan, i understand what you mean about financial security, i think most people would like to be financially independent to do the things they want, but a lot of the time its hard to even just have the bare minimum don't you think? especially for a musician. So at times it is as if they just have to live of the music and play with the cards they got. least that's how i see it. But the lottery would be nice haha.

    JEsse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jesse, I am a borderline dweller in the music vs. material things territory. If I were hanging on a cliff and someone offered to sing me song while another person reached out their hand I would choose the hand. Same goes with Money. If someone held out a handful of $500 bills and and another held out their hand... I'd take the hand again. I guess what I'm trying to say is everything is according to timing and perspective. Needs change as you grow, your music matures as well. Sometimes music is all that matters and then at other times music becomes irrelevant as we struggle to subdue the demons of materialism, a severe lack of money leaves one exhausted, spending time when they could be making good music doing mundane and earthly things.
    Gary
    zuutoo

    ReplyDelete